Engaged Latina Leadership Activist 2020 Program Application
Deadline to apply has passed. Please be sure to check in at the end of 2020 for next year’s cohort application.
WHAT IS THE ELLA PROGRAM?
The Engaged Latina Leadership Program (ELLA) Program is a six-month leadership program created to help Latinas between the ages of 19-29 to gain leadership and civic engagement skills through a series of professional activities, resources and mentoring. The program consists of an intensive three-day retreat, Hispanas Organized for Political Equality’s (HOPE) annual public policy and advocacy conference in Sacramento (Latina Action Day) and a series of civic engagement training. The program also includes workshops to complete an advocacy group project focusing on issues affecting Latinas. Through the group projects, ELLAs are exposed to other Latino/a leaders and enhance their team building skills.
The ELLA Program is a byproduct of Latina Coalition of Silicon Valley’s mission to create and sustain a network of professional women that support each other in the advancement of civic engagement and leadership – and implemented in partnership with the Santa Clara County Office of Women’s Policy (OWP). The program aims to develop future leaders that can tackle some of the most pressing issues impacting Latinas and supports the broader movement to empower Latina women in Silicon Valley.
The ELLA Program requires deep dedication and calls for extensive collaboration, effective time-management, and creativity from participants. The program gives young Latina women opportunities to learn about themselves, their leadership capabilities and the opportunity to meet and collaborate with other Latinas who have similar interests and experiences.
About Latina Coalition of Silicon Valley
Latina Coalition of Silicon Valley (LCSV) educates, prepares and connects Latinas in the areas of civic engagement and leadership development as an expression of our shared values of service, commitment, and appreciation for the Latinas who have paved the way for our successes.
About Santa Clara County Office of Women’s Policy
Developed in the spirit of collaboration between the County and the community in 1998, the Office of Women’s Policy is a leading voice in Silicon Valley on the needs of women and girls, serving as a catalyst for awareness and action on current and emerging issues that impact women’s health, safety, and security. Through analysis, research and strategic collaboration, OWP work to ensure that programs and services, and also systems and policy support women’s leadership, full equality and advancement in the home, at work and in the community.
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE AN ELLA?
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
- Attendance at ALL sessions indicated in this application. Please review the dates listed below and only if you are available to attend every session, continue with the application process. Given the nature of the program, we cannot make any exceptions.
* Please note that if you miss two sessions you will be automatically dropped from the ELLA Program *
- In addition to attending every session, you will also be required to meet with your assigned group on multiple occasions (dates are at the discretion of you and your group) throughout the six months, and more so toward the end of the program when working on the final project.
- Throughout the program, you will be given individual homework assignments designed to foster your personal knowledge and growth. Additionally, as a group, your final project will include an advocacy component and a presentation related to your assigned topic.
- A $25 discounted LCSV membership fee. As a member of
LCSVyou will have access to the LCSV network, opportunities to attend exclusive LCSV events and discounted rates when applicable.
- If you are accepted into the
ELLAprogram, you will be responsible for a $100 deposit. You will be reimbursed your $100 deposit at the completion of the program under the condition that you attend every session and turn in every homework assignment on time. No exceptions will be made. If you miss a session or do not turn in a homework assignment on time, your $100 deposit will be automatically donated to LCSV, otherwise, it will be refunded to you at the end of the program. Deposits will be due during the Orientation.
- Lastly, we expect every ELLA to participate 100 percent in the program. This means, attending all sessions, communicating with the ELLA Coordinator as needed/required, communicating with your teammates, making the effort to meet with your assigned group as needed and taking this leadership opportunity seriously.
If you are ready for the challenge and ready to take your professional development to the next level, we encourage you to apply and look forward to receiving your ELLA Program application.
For more information on the
If you are ready, you can Click here to APPLY!